Was Jesus Crucified?
You will be surprised at how quickly Muslims will deny fact of the crucifixion of Christ. Was Jesus Crucified?
They usually say: “Jesus prayed in ‘Matt 26:39 And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou [wilt].’ Do you see? Jesus did not want to go on the cross. He was never crucified and our Qur’an supports it.”
There is only one reason why they try to disprove this fundamental Christian belief, and it is the Qur’an. Only 2 verses (ayats) mention Jesus’ crucifixion, to be precise:
Qur’an, Sura 4
- And their saying: Surely we have killed the Messiah, Isa son of Marium, the apostle of Allah; and they did not kill him nor did they crucify him, but it appeared to them so (like Isa) and most surely those who differ therein are only in a doubt about it; they have no knowledge respecting it, but only follow a conjecture, and they killed him not for sure. 158. Nay! Allah took him up to Himself; and Allah is Mighty, Wise.
Another verse mentions Jesus:
Qur’an, Sura 3.055
Behold! Allah said: “O Jesus! I will take thee and raise thee to Myself and clear thee (of the falsehoods) of those who blaspheme; I will make those who follow thee superior to those who reject faith, to the Day of Resurrection: Then shall ye all return unto me, and I will judge between you of the matters wherein ye dispute.
Qur’an, Sura 19.33,34
“So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)”! Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute.
This ayat says that Jesus should die before ascension to God, but Muslim scholars argue that it is referred to the future return and death of Jesus.
CRUCIFIXION OR CRUCI-FICTION, by Ahmed Deedat
What are we Muslims to say to this Christian claim? Nothing better than Allah’s shattering reply to the Jewish boast!
- “Full of Doubts!” — In a state of confusion.
- “Without Knowledge!” — In ignorance.
- “Only follow Conjecture!” — Guess work—Fiction!
Could anyone have been more EXPLICIT, more EMPHATIC, more DOGMATIC, more UN-COMPROMISING in rejecting the dogma of a faith than this? “IMPOSSIBLE!” is the answer. The only One Who could, would be the All-Knowing, the Omniscient, the Omnipotent Lord of the Universe — GOD ALMIGHTY Himself!
The Muslim believes this categorical Qur’ânic statement to be from God. Hence he asks no questions and seeks for no proof.
Had the Christians accepted the Holy Qur’ân as the Word of God, the problem of the crucifixion would never have arisen. They vehemently oppose the Qur’ânic teaching and attack everything Islamic. In the words of Thomas Carlyle — “THEY (the Christians) HAVE BEEN TRAINED TO HATE THE MAN MOHAMED AND HIS RELIGION.”
When confronted by the extravagant and conflicting claims of the Jews and the Christians to their exclusive rights to salvation, Allah subha nahu wa-ta aala1 commands us to demand for proof. He says:
(SURA BAQARA)Holy Qur’ân 2:111
And they have produced the only proof they have; in over fifteen hundred different languages!
At the beginning of course! — Exactly as the Bible does (“In the beginning. . .” – Genesis 1:1) — just 24 hours before the cataclysmic events of “a thunderstorm; an eclipse of the sun; an earthquake; rocks being rent; the veil of the temple being torn from the top to bottom; graves being opened and sleeping corpses marching through the streets of Jerusalem . . .” as narrated by the Christians’ Witnesses. What a scenario for a billion dollar, record-breaking, film production!
Muslims persist in trying to use the Bible against itself in order to justify quranic account of crucifixion. Muslims have no choice but to defend the Qur’an, even at any cost. At this point, we might show our Muslim friends many verses from the NT and OT to prove that Jesus was indeed crucified and had risen from the dead. We can also use historians’ records, both Christian sources and non-Christian, who wrote about this particular crucifixion.
- Tertullian who lived at the beginning of the 3rd century
- Lucian, who died in A.D. 312
- Thallus, a historian who wrote in AD. 52
- Julius Africanus, who wrote about A.D. 221
- Phlegon of Tralles
- Joannes Philoponus
But the most important of all are the four gospels and the other writings (known as epistles) of Paul, Peter and John. All founded on OT prophesies of a dying Messiah. Here is a list of all prophesies about Jesus in the OT. Consider these Old Testament prophecies and the New Testament fulfillment by Christ:
- Born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2, Matthew 2:1; Luke 2:4-7)
- Born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:21-23) as a descendant of Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3; 22:18; Matthew 1:1; Galatians 3:16), of the tribe of Judah (Genesis 49:10; Luke 3:23, 33; Hebrews 7:14), and of the house of David (2 Samuel 7:12-16; Matthew 1:1)
- Herod kills the infants in Bethlehem (Jeremiah 31:15; Matthew 2:16-18)
- Taken to Egypt (Hosea 11:1; Matthew 2:14-15)
- Heralded by the messenger of the Lord (John the Baptist) (Isaiah 40:3-5; Malachi 3:1; Matthew 3:1-3)
- Anointed by the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 11:2; Matthew 3:16-17)
- Preached good news (Isaiah 61:1; Luke 4:14-21)
- Performed miracles (Isaiah 35:5-6; Matthew 9:35)
- Cleansed the Temple (Malachi 3:1; Matthew 21:12-13)
- Ministered in Galilee (Isaiah 9:1; Matthew 4:12-16)
- Entered Jerusalem as a king on a donkey (Zechariah 9:9; Matthew 21:4-9)
- First presented Himself as King 173,880 days from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem (Daniel 9:25; Matthew 21:4-11)
- Rejected by Jews (Psalm 118:22; 1 Peter 2:7)
- Died a humiliating death (Psalm 22; Isaiah 53) involving:
- rejection (Isaiah 53:3; John 1:10-11; 7:5,48)
- betrayal by a friend (Psalm 41:9; Luke 22:3-4; John 13:18)
- sold for 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12; Matthew 26:14-15)
- silent before His accusers (Isaiah 53:7; Matthew 27:12-14)
- mocked (Psalm 22: 7-8; Matthew 27:31)
- beaten (Isaiah 52:14; Matthew 27:26)
- spit upon (Isaiah 50:6; Matthew 27:30)
- pierced His hands and feet (Psalm 22:16; Matthew 27:31)
- crucified with thieves (Isaiah 53:12; Matthew 27:38)
- prayed for His persecutors (Isaiah 53:12; Luke 23:34)
- pierced His side (Zechariah 12:10; John 19:34)
- given gall and vinegar to drink (Psalm 69:21, Matthew 27:34, Luke 23:36)
- no broken bones (Psalm 34:20; John 19:32-36)
- buried in a rich man’s tomb (Isaiah 53:9; Matthew 27:57-60)
- cast lots for His garments (Psalm 22:18; John 19:23-24)
- Rose from the dead! (Psalm 16:10; Mark 16:6; Acts 2:31)
- Ascended into Heaven (Psalm 68:18; Acts 1:9)
- Sat down at the right hand of God (Psalm 110:1; Hebrews 1:3)
But Muslims deny all this clear evidence simply because of what was written in 40 Arabic words in the Qur’an. Isn’t it strange?
In addition to all the scriptural evidence, we have some simple, logical evidence from church history itself. Christianity started ONLY because of Jesus’ death and resurrection! Nothing else on this planet could transform a group of cowards like the eleven disciples of Christ into “spiritual lions” who went to death preaching the truth of the Word of God! We can’t ignore that fact.
According to the Qur’an, Allah is the one who created confusion among Jews and Christians alike. Both these groups believed in the death of Jesus. Elsewhere, the Qur’an speaks highly about Christians in several ayats as the “people of the Book”, admitting that Allah gave them the gospel, which is the true and living Word of God. In denying Jesus’ crucifixion, the Qur’an contradicts itself because it teaches that Christians are deluded and therefore can’t have “the truth”.
We could say that generally speaking, the Qur’an is full of contradictions like this one. That why there are ayats which say, “No compulsion in Religion”. Some ayats praise Christians and other ayats curse Christians, invoking hardship upon them.
The key to understanding is to place the suras of the Qur’an in the correct order, according to the time of its given “revelation”. Earliest suras were given in Mecca where Muhammad was only a religious prophet and had only few followers who were more peaceful and tolerant towards Jews and Christians. Later, when Muhammad became a political leader, he started “receiving” more aggressive and violent “revelations”. They contradict the earlier, peaceful suras. To explain this dilemma, Islam has a weird doctrine called “abrogation”. Later “revelations” invalidate the early ones.
Therefore, the Muslim’s problem with the crucifixion is connected to the Qur’an itself, and has no other sources to prove it, regardless of how hard Muslims are trying to dig them up.
We have to ask a simple question. If the Qur’an is in contradiction with the entire Bible on this very important doctrine, and if the Qur’an is in contradiction with historical evidence, we should ask them to prove that the Qur’an can indeed be trusted.
Alternatively, let us simply ask Muslims this question, “Is the Torah, which we have now in our Bibles, truly the preserved Word of God?” The answer to this question will determine which book – either the Qur’an or the Bible, is the real Word of God.